12/1/2020 update: Below you will find additional information on the interactive platforms we will use during the week of the conference. Click on the other event links to see other guidance on poster uploads and viewing.
Asynchronous discussion on Slack:
Name of the workspace: VirtualSON2020
Registrants will receive an invitation to join the VirtualSON2020 Slack workspace. You will need to sign up with your email address and a password to make a Slack account. Within that space, you will see the following channels, which you may join to participate in asynchronous discussions about posters and other topics. Announcements relating to synchronous sessions will also be posted here. Discussions on the p-prefix channels should be limited to the topic at hand, so please take other discussion to the general channel or direct message to a participant.
There are desktop and mobile versions of Slack for your convenience.
Prefixes on individual channels are as follows: “a” indicates information for all attendees. “p” indicates subject matter poster session chat channels. “m” indicates social/meetup channels.
Biological Control p_biological_control
Virtual Hangout m_virtual-hangout
Ecology and Behavior p_ecology_behavior
Host-Parasite Interactions p_host_parasite_interactions
Taxonomy & Systematics p_taxonomy_systematics
Tips for Presenters
- Consider a 30-second elevator pitch to introduce your research question.
- Focus the rest of your presentation on key findings.
- Practice. Moderators will cut presenters off at 4 minutes.
Live Q&A (Dec 14-18)
Poster Presenters (who choose to) will be assigned a Live Q&A session Mon, Tues, Thurs, or Friday during the meeting week (schedule TBA). Presenters will be grouped by theme in 30-minute mini sessions. Each presenter in a session will give a 4-minute presentation about their key findings. At the end of the speakers, the group of presenters will then take questions from attendees for 15 minutes.
- Presenters who chose not to participate in the Live Q&A sessions will have their posters (with or without descriptive video) for viewing only.
- Live Q&A Sessions will not be recorded.
Tips for Attendees
- View posters on Figshare before the Live Q&A Session you are interested in attending.
- Come to the Live Q&A prepared to ask questions.
- Engage with presenters informally on Zoom utilizing the chat function in their session.
- Moderators will help manage this.
Diversity, equality, inclusion, respect
- Virtual SON 2020 Conference is committed to the inclusion and recognition of all community members.
- Treat each other with respect, regardless of race, age, culture, ability, ethnicity or nationality, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, religious affiliation, and socioeconomic status, etc.
- Harassment or intimidation in any form (emails, social media, Slack, etc.) as well as the use of potentially offensive images or language will not be tolerated.
Special considerations in a virtual environment
- Do not record the presentations, discussions, or online meetings, even ‘just’ for your own use.
- Do not take screenshots or pictures of a presenter’s slides or poster without their explicit permission.
- Just as you might excluded if your phone rings repeatedly during normal conference proceedings - disruptive behavior on Slack and/or Zoom will not be tolerated and you will be blocked/ejected.
- ·Just like a normal conference, participation is restricted to accepted registrants only.
- Sharing of Webinar Links/Invitations with non-registrants is prohibited.
- Why? If you share these links/invitations outside of Slack then the webinars might be open to attack by internet trolls and hackers Twitter and other sharing platforms.
- The use of Twitter (#VirtualSON2020) and other social media is allowed during the meeting, however, please be considerate and ask if unsure whether you can share something before you do so.